Friday, March 30, 2012

Lenten Daily Dose - 5th Friday

Wake up, Jesus has something to say...

As we go towards the Superbowl of our Faith – Easter Sunday, we are launched into Holy Week which is the final chapters of the Greatest Story Ever Told.  The end of most books are usually the most poignant and carry the meaning of all the previous pages.  The final chapter is the most important, and wraps up the whole book.  Holy Week is the final Chapter.  When someone lies on their death bed, in the movies or in real life, they utter those final words to be remembered by.  They share those final words of wisdom, knowing they have run out of time to talk.  Christ saves his most important messages for Holy Week as well.

If we sleep through our faith all the other 51 weeks of the year, so be it.  Obviously this is not optimal in finding Jesus, but if there is ever a time to wake up to His presence, this week is it.

How does the devil feel about that?  He wants us to sleep right through it.  How does he put us to sleep?  He turns up the volume on worldly things.  The evil one is the great deceiver, so we need to avoid his traps.

He is trying to trap me with work.  I have been busier than ever, less successful that usual, and I am determined to get the work train back on the tracks, by putting the pedal to the metal, and to out work the work.  Nice try devil.  I will not fall for it (every time, but ‘yes’, I am falling for it most of the time).  The deceiver can’t let us hear Christ most important words.

Which words of Christ will touch us this Holy Week?

At the Last Supper:

  • “This is my body which is given for you...”(Luke 22:19)
  • “This cup which is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood” (Luke 22:20)
  • “Unless I wash you, you will have no inheritance with me...Do you realize what I have done for you?  You call me ‘teacher’ and ‘master’ and rightly so for indeed I am.  If I, therefore, the master and teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash one another’s feet.  I have given you a model to follow, so that as I have done for you, you should also do.” (John 13:8, 12-15)

On the Cross:
  • “Father forgive them, they know not what they do.” (Luke 23:34)
  • “Amen, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise.” (Luke 23:43)
  • “Woman behold your son...Behold your Mother.” (John 19:26-27)
  • “My God, my God, why have you forsaken Me?” (Matthew 27:46)
  • “I thirst.” (John 19:28)
  • “It is finished.” (John 19:30)
  • “Father, into your hands I commend my spirit.” (Luke 23:46)

After the Resurrection:
  • “Peace be with you....Why are you troubled? And why do questions arise in your hearts? (Luke 24:36-37)
  • “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.” (John 20:21)
  • “Simon, son of John, Do you love me more than these?...Feed my lambs.” (John 21:15)

Peace,

Chuck Forthaus 

No comments:

Post a Comment