Monday, March 19, 2012

Lenten Daily Dose - 4th Monday

Why Me?
I ask that at times.  Why do I have to do this?  Why is this happening to me? Many times I think that I am comparing my life to others, and they seem to be having an easier way than me.  I was told once the problem that I had in that comparison is that I am comparing my interior feelings and strives to the other person’s external appearance.  In reality, that person probably is going through as many internal challenges as I am.

We are spending the weekend down in Branson, Missouri that was hit by the tornado several weeks ago.  The community that we are staying in had the tornado go right through the middle of it.  To see the path and the destruction and the power of the storm is pretty awe inspiring.  It is humbling too.  Some trees hit, some missed, some houses hit, some missed, some houses with a little glass or roof damage, others totally destroyed.  When I spoke to some of the victims, they usually do talk about the pain of the devastation of their property, but most say, “but at least nobody got hurt.”  They are speaking that nobody was physically harmed, but their is a lot of pain that is still there.  There is also a lot of neighbor helping neighbor.

Someone I know was diagnosed with cancer this past year.  The initial shock was hard and he has fought valiantly and seems to have the upper hand in his battle with the big “C”.  In talking with him, the statement that I will always remember was when he said, “not why me, why not me?”  He told me that God put this in his life for some reason and he is going to have to figure out why.

The second reading to the Ephesians ends with this verse:

For we are his handiwork, created in Christ Jesus for the good works
that God has prepared in advance,
that we should live in them.”

Maybe this is why God puts tough times in our lives.  Maybe it is so we can empathic for others that are going through hard times and be the hands, face, and voice of Christ to those that are in need.  Maybe we can only understand the needy if we are one of the needy.  Someone once told me that the poor and needy carry a gift with them.  Each time we tend to their needs, receive part of the gift that they give to us.  Maybe that gift is what the Gospel spoke of today and the gift that Jesus gives to us this Easter, Eternal Life?

“For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son,
so that everyone who believes in him might not perish
but might have eternal life...

...But whoever lives the truth comes to the light,
so that his works may be clearly seen as done in God.”

Peace,

Chuck Forthaus

No comments:

Post a Comment