Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Lenten Daily Dose - 2nd Wednesday


“Visible and Invisible”


The new words of the Nicene Creed start like this:

“I believe in one God, the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth of all things visible and invisible.”

Visible and invisible- These two words often get me thinking.  I clearly understand visible.  Visible is easy tangible and provable.  But invisible?? 

Why should I contemplate what I cannot see or prove?  Perhaps I can believe the invisible exist, but what does it have to do with me?  If it is invisible, it does not have form so how can it possible affect the tangible world I live in?  Why worry about it? Probably no harm in saying I believe in something that cannot affect me, right?

Concentrating on the tangibles that affect me is what matters.  I wake up every morning.  I go to work to earn money. I use the money to buy food and shelter for my family.  I work hard.  I am the provider.  I spend time with my wife and children.  I do the things I am supposed to do.  I do my part.  This is my purpose.  What does anything invisible have to do with this?  

I have days or weeks that reflect this way of seeing my world.  Without getting all “Jesus Freaky” on you, all I can say is that these are my worse days.  I do know that there is something to embracing the invisible thing. 

I may encourage one to contemplate the invisible. 

Peace,

Steve Arendt

No comments:

Post a Comment