Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Lenten Daily Dose - 2nd Tuesday

HUMILITY
“Whoever exalts himself will be humbled.” (taken from today’s Gospel - http://usccb.org/bible/readings/030612.cfm)

We crave recognition, attention, approval.  From the day we are born, we cry for attention.   We seek out what makes us unique, what makes us special.  We compete for recognition for being the ‘best’.  And when we stand on that podium and accept that trophy, medal, bonus or life recognition, are we humble enough to say, “by the grace of God, I stand here.”  I would have to say that when I get the on the ‘podiums’ in my life, I usually think that it is because of my hard work, and ME that got ME to the top.  I need less ME and more HIM.

Humility is hard.

Christ calls us to a humble life.  Christ lead a humble life as our example. He even ended His life by being humiliated for our sins.  That is the story of the Stations of the Cross.

“for when I am weak, then I am strong.” 2 Corinthians 12:10
Here is a prayer that someone passed to me a while back, my prayer for today:
Prayer for a Gentle Life
Teach me, my Lord, to be kind and gentle in all the events of my life; in the disappointments, in the thoughtlessness of others, in the insincerity of those I trusted, in the unfaithfulness of those on whom I relied. Let me put myself aside, to think of the happiness of others, to hide my pains and heartaches, so that I may be the one to suffer from them.

Teach me to profit by the suffering that comes across my path. Let me use it so that it may mellow me, not embitter me; that it may make me patient, not irritable; that it may make me broad in my forgiveness, not narrow, proud and overbearing.

May no one be less good for having come within my influence . No one less pure, less true, less kind, less noble, for having been a fellow traveler in our journey toward eternal life.  As I go on my rounds, from one task to another, let me say, from time to time, a word of love to you, my Lord.  May my life be lived in the supernatural, full of power for good, and strong in its purpose of sanctity.  Amen

Peace,

Chuck

No comments:

Post a Comment