Sunday, December 30, 2012

Christmas Daily Dose - Feast of the Holy Family

+In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Daily Readings

Reflection by Steve Arendt, a parishioner


Christmas was a great family experience for me this year and I sat down to write about my perfect family in a perfect Christmas setting.  I was going to paint the picture of awesome wife, super kids, a great day with parents and siblings.  A “God is great, God is good” type of message. 

But then I remembered.  Oh Cr-p  I can’t paint the perfect family picture.  That is not fair, It is only perfect once in a while.  Becky and I were pregnant before we were married.  My teenage boys get into trouble once in a while.  There was a time when my fathering skills were seriously challenged.  My relationship with my parents has been rocky at times.  Becky and I experience highs and lows in our finances that causes stress.  I struggle being a great husband at times. 

I can honestly say that there have been struggles and there will continue to be struggles.  Our family has great days and we have challenging days.  HOWEVER, I have grown into two concepts that have made all the difference.  They are Faith and Hope. 

I am not talking about a faith in the rules of my religion and a hope that they are right.  I am talking about a faith that I am a creation of God, created in the likeness of God and guided by a God who loves me.  Grounded in this faith I then experience the hope that everything in my family is perfect. 

For me it is about the “experiencing the hope” .  This is real and tangible.  It has become so real that if on any given morning I am feeling something less than a creation of God I have to come to a complete stop and renew my own faith that I am a child of God, made in God’s image and desirable by God.  If I don’t take the time to renew this basic faith, then I am doomed to have a cr-ppy family experience and a bad day.  I will not experience the hope that is designed to be a part of my day. 

This is my simple reality. 

No comments:

Post a Comment