Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Advent Daily Dose - 2nd Wednesday

+In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Daily Readings

A reflection by Steve Arendt, a parishioner


Many people crave a structured world where there are clear rules to follow.  This is not me.  There is no right or wrong in this statement.  It simply points out a difference.    

Sure, I am a law abiding citizen.  But somebody better give me a great reason that the rule exist before it becomes engrained in my nature to follow. 

Growing up Catholic I cannot tell you how many times I heard something to the effect of:  “you have to go to church on this day because it is the rules”  or “you can’t do that because it is against the rules” .  For most of my life nobody could explain to me why any one of the rules existed.  So I proceeded to break most of them.  Honestly , my life did not change when I kept them or broke them. 

A change happened in my life when God reached out to me through some friends and extended an invitation for a personal relationship.  I accepted that invitation.  My relationship grew and grew.  I found others who were having the same experience.  Then something profound happened.  I found some who could tell me why the rules of the church existed.  They explained to me that the rules were the great practices to know God.  Practices that have been honed over time. 

These practices could be so powerful that it was worth asking everyone to participate.  So powerful that if just one experienced the deeper meaning , it is worth gathering everyone. 

Since then I continue to ask why.  I continue to get answers.  I continue to find indescribable experiences in the practices of our church.    My relationship with my God has been greatly enhanced by all that was discovered and passed down by my forebears.  Now when I break the rules my life does change.  When I keep the rules I find God.

+In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment