Sunday, December 23, 2012

Advent Daily Dose - 4th Sunday

+In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Daily Readings

Reflection by Tim Brown, a parishioner


The divine inspiration that we receive from Christ through the Sacraments, prayer, and the support of family and friends recently propelled me through a particularly challenging issue at work.  Reflecting back now, I can see how God gave me what I needed, when I needed it. 

The inspiration came during the Sunday Mass when a line from the Gospel of Luke jumped out and bit me.  It was so completely obvious the verse was meant for me that I laughed out loud when I first read it.  There was no interpretation needed here.  Christ was telling me the deal as clearly as He possibly could; now I had to accept it and apply it.  As the work conflict unfolded, that verse continued to pop into my head, challenging and lifting me up at the same time.

Christ spoke to me again at the end of Mass while I was serving as a Eucharistic Minister.  I have no explanation for how or why this happened, but when offering the Body of Christ, I got struck to the core by a stranger’s returning glance.  The brief exchange took my breath away, and the feeling of joy and humility that overtook me when I got back to the pew has been a source of strength for me this week.

Christ spoke to me in a song on my way home after a particular trying day. I really wanted to get beyond the emotions of the day but was struggling.  I turned on the radio and the song that began playing was “My Savior Loves, My Savior Lives,” by The Casting Crowns.  The first line immediately caught my attention, and as I continued to listen, my thoughts turned to my relationship with Christ.  This song starts out with the line, “I am not skilled to understand what God has willed, what God has planned.  I take Him at His word and deed.  Christ died to save me, this I read. And in my heart I find a need of Him to be my savior.” A few verses later, a pounding course kicks in with “My Savior loves, My Savior lives, My Savior’s always there for me.” What a song – what a God!  Before arriving home, I spent some time with Christ in Adoration, and we had a wonderful talk.

The next day at work I received a Christmas card from a colleague that included a very kind and affirming note.  This was exactly what I needed to hear, when I needed to hear it.  Christ spoke to me through a friend.  On the drive home that night, lost in my thoughts, the song “Remind Me Who I Am” by Jason Gray came on.   I love this song, and hearing it flooded me with positive emotions and an overwhelming feeling of love.  The card and this song was the final one-two punch I needed to knock me back to the realization of how fortunate I truly am.  As the song continued to play, I felt complete relief from the burdens I was holding onto. When I pulled in the driveway, I was at peace.

I am so blessed to have Christ as my friend.  My commitment to regularly seek Him out through the Sacraments, prayer, and other people has provided countless benefits.  Filled with the Holy Spirit, may we all leap for joy with the knowledge of the coming of our Lord!  

Merry Christmas.

+In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment