Monday, December 31, 2012

Christmas Daily Dose - 7th Day in the Octave

+In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Daily Readings

Reflection by Tim Brown, a parishioner


My New Year’s Resolution
Expressing my love of Christ and asking for His assistance by regularly repeating a prayer has allowed me to more fully realize how the Holy Spirit can be a transforming agent in my life.  For example, I silently repeat a version of the Jesus Prayer (Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner) as I prepare to receive the Eucharist.  This simple act has dramatically increased the reverence I have for this Sacrament.  

I’ve also added a litany, which is a prayer consisting of a series of petitions with a fixed response, to my daily routine, and this simple prayer practice has begun to fundamentally change how I approach and deal with many aspects of my life.  So, top on my list of New Year’s resolutions is to keep praying the Litany of Humility by Cardinal Merry del Val.   Since I began making these petitions on a regular basis, I’ve become much more aware of my arrogant and pride-filled behaviors.  I pray that through God’s grace, I will continually adopt a more humble and service-oriented approach to my life.    

O Jesus! Meek and humble of heart, HEAR US
From the desire of being esteemed, Deliver me, Jesus
From the desire of being honored, Deliver me, Jesus
From the desire of being praised, Deliver me, Jesus
From the desire of being preferred to others, Deliver me, Jesus
From the desire of being consulted, Deliver me, Jesus
From the desire of being approved, Deliver me, Jesus
From the fear of being humiliated, Deliver me, Jesus
From the fear of being forgotten, Deliver me, Jesus
From the fear of being ridiculed, Deliver me, Jesus
From the fear of being wronged, Deliver me, Jesus
That others may be loved more than I, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it
That others may be praised and I unnoticed, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it
That others may increase and I decrease, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it
That others may be preferred to me in everything, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it
That others may be become holier than I, provided
That I may become as holy as I should, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

+In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment