Monday, December 24, 2012

Advent Daily Dose - 4th Monday - Christmas Eve

+In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Daily Readings

Reflection by Steve Schaefer, a parishioner


Breathing on the Eve of Christmas

Weary from the business of the day,
I prepare for the excitement of the night.
Stepping into the darkness, it’s not enough.
So I close my eyes, then gently exhale, before I say,
“I want to feel the Light.”

With confidence I know it is near.
Imagining all God’s love before I start.  
I stumble and look back, “Did I reflect it in every glance and every word?”   
Inhale. Without fail. Refreshing, crisp and clear.    
His spirit weaves its way into my heart.

The calm washes over me for His generosity.
I envision the glow of Bethlehem. The stars are brighter than before.
Angels, on the verge of their joyful song,
But the minutes labor with intense fear from the holy family.
Joseph, exhausted, takes his wife to a stable with dirt as a floor.

I should have had a plan,
“How can I be a good father to the Son of Man?”

He closes his eyes and takes a breath.
Feels God’s love and inhales again.
Courage to try, he prepares the hay.
Comforts Mary the very best he can.
Kneeling down, humble and strong,
a gesture of hope, he folds his hands.
“I trust you, please light the way”
and then a sign, an overwhelming release,
God will be with us.
Glorious.
Emmanuel, a masterpiece.

Amen. 

+In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment