Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Advent Daily Dose - 2nd Tuesday

+In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Daily Readings.

Reflection by Father Craig


These readings are quite beautiful today.  The bold petition that opens our reading from the Prophet Isaiah strikes the core of the desire of every human heart: Comfort!

This is particularly applicable to me this week, and the previous 6 days.  Last Wednesday I had some surgery on my sinuses.  The discomfort with which I’ve lived for the last several years had become unbearable so I sought out a medical solution.  Somewhat unforeseen though, the repair, the fix, the surgery, has proven to be anything but comfortable. (I know it will improve, but hang in there with me for the purposes of this reflection.)

The surgery brought with it side-effects that were uncomfortable: swelling, bleeding, side effects from the medicine; lack of sleep and unable to concentrate; work, celebrate Mass, etc.  All of these things, at the time, seemed just as uncomfortable as the original problem.  And, as I said, I know the light is growing brighter at the end of the tunnel, I suppose that’s the purpose of this reflection. 

The petition to the Lord today, “Give comfort to my people,” is resonating with me in a particular way today.

The comfort the Lord brings is total, complete and eternal. In fact, the comfort He gives to His people is that comfort for which our souls yearn for until they are satisfied in Heaven. And so we make this petition: Comfort, O Lord!

Some questions for our prayer today: where do I need comfort from the Lord? Is there something that bothering me, weighing down my heart and prayer, or that is keeping me from giving and receiving Love and Forgiveness from the people in my life?

Secondly, is there a place where I can be an instrument of God’s comfort to His people? Can I give my time and solicitude to a charity who needs volunteers, or to a stranger, a coworker, or just about anyone who may need a smile, a kind word or a helping hand?  Let’s pray that we not miss an opportunity to be an instrument of God’s healing and comfort today even as we receive it for ourselves.

Today, the Lord speaks to all of us: “Give comfort to my people!” 

+In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment