Thursday, February 9, 2012

5 Runs in the Top of the First...

...but saved by the offense!

So, if you were at the 8am Mass this morning, you may have noticed that things didn't go as smoothly and gracefully as is prescribed by the liturgical norms.  It was just a rough outing- a lot like when Chris Carpenter who gives up 5 runs in the top of the first.  But even if he gives up those runs, the offense can come to the rescue- and that's what happened at Mass this morning.

I was unsure about what to preach about this morning and asked the Lord to give me something solid to pass on to those gathered. I myself wasn't hearing much!  Began preaching and it occurred to me that I'm not even sure I understand what Jesus is trying to accomplish with the Syrophoenician woman, so I was kind of at a loss for words. And right before I was getting ready to throw in the towel and concede the homily, the Lord spoke to my heart and these words came out of my mouth:

"I think a point for our prayer today can be this simple Truth: that what we expect from the Lord is nothing compared to what He already wants to give us."

I have no idea where that came from- but thanks be God and I hope it stimulates some prayer today.

But it's not over. After a quick breakfast I went upstairs to pray a bit before setting to work. I opened up a book I've been spot-reading here and there and I read the following two sentences:

"God loves us more than we realize or can ever repay Him. Remember weakness is no hindrance to love: in our relations with God it is even an enormous strength. Let us remain, then, united in weakness, in prayer, and in the desire to belong wholly to the God" (p12).

And then, as if that wasn't enough...

"Take then, what He gives- that is all that matters. Love does not always heed the desires of those whom it loves. It knows what is good for them and procures it for them, and satisfies their desires provided they are in accordance with that good. That is how God acts. Do not forget that God is Love. We should live with this great truth constantly before us" (p13).

So, UNCLE!!  I get it! Thank you! I'm a slow-learner sometimes. Thanks be God He's remarkably patient- and there's 8 innings left!  Play ball!

No comments:

Post a Comment