Thursday, October 27, 2011

Mass Changes: Part II


II.  Penitential Act - The Confiteor
Priest: “[Friends; brothers and sisters; et al.], let us acknowledge our sins, and so prepare ourselves to celebrate the sacred mysteries.
All: “I confess to almighty God and to you, my brothers and sisters, that I have greatly sinned, in my thoughts and in my words, in what I have done and in what I have failed to do, (striking breast) through my fault, through my fault, through my most grievous fault; (continuing) therefore I ask the blessed Mary ever-Virgin, all the Angels and Saints, and you, my brothers and sisters, to pray for me to the Lord our God. “

Notice the change in words (again, in italics). The guiding principal is a closer adherence to the Latin, not a stronger critique on our virtue. The new translation expresses more grandly the seriousness of our sin, and the sincerity of our contrition; it also helps us to further recollect that we might enter more deeply into the prayer of the Mass. 

Furthermore, look at what the priest says to introduce the Confiteor.  This is both an acknowledgement of our sin (no way, or reason, to hide from that) and a deeper embrace of the fact that this Eucharist is a total gift from the Father. Additionally, we’re asking each other to pray for us; we’re all invited to this banquet, this Eucharist, and we’re here together. Let’s pray for each other and help each other along the path to holiness and sainthood.

No comments:

Post a Comment