Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Christmas Daily Dose - January 2nd

+In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Daily Readings

Reflection by Tom Albus, a parishioner


The Commission of Christmas

            I have a favorite biblical passage I go to often and it has nothing to do, historically, with Christmas.  It is from the Last Supper discourse of John’s gospel but I think it has perspective to offer a people going forth from Christmas.

Here is the passage:

I no longer call you slaves because a slave does not know what his master is doing.  I have called you friends because I have told you everything I have learned from my Father.  It was not you who chose me but I who chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit that will remain, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name he may give you.  This I command you: love one another.  John 15: 15-17.

            Peace and joy come to me at Christmas when I can accept God’s choice to send his only son back into a sinful world.  That choice, mentioned by Christ at the last supper, is the root of salvation (“it was not you who chose me but I who chose you”).  It came before Mary’s “yes” at the Annunciation which set the stage for the Incarnation and, ultimately, Christ’s death and resurrection. 

            So, now what?  Well, now we are to go out and bear fruit.  Christ has given us the Word by “telling us everything [he] learned from the Father.”  We are on the team now.  We have been personally chosen.  We need only ask in the name of Jesus.  Now, I promise I am done eating cookies and fudge.  I am throwing out the boxes and wrapping paper.  I am going to try to call on the Father in 2013 and see what kind of fruit comes of it.  Happy New Year!

+In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment