Friday, January 4, 2013

Christmas Daily Dose - Feast of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton

+In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Daily Readings

Reflection by Tom Cummins, a parishioner

"What are you looking for?"


In today’s reading those are the very first words spoken by Jesus in John’s Gospel. He poses the question to prospective, and eventual, disciples.

Isn’t it interesting that the richness of everything Jesus says and does in John’s Gospel begins with a question? “What are you looking for?” I don’t know what I would say now even with our 2000 years of tradition, liturgies, teachings, and preachings. Can you just imagine answering that question on the spur of the moment ... face-to-face with Jesus?

For me, the verse, “What are you looking for?” is most intriguing, and it also one of my favorites in scripture. It reveals what Jesus’ message is really all about. It is a response from us that Jesus is after. 

He calls; we respond.

What Jesus has to offer isn’t a one-size-fits-all package. It’s personal. It’s relational. It’s at the individual level. “What are you looking for?”

I’m going to be thinking about this for quite a while. But I have a sneaking suspicion that what I’m looking for is to be found in my surrender, my turning over my will to what Jesus is asking of me in the power of the Holy Spirit and through God’s grace.

That seems to be a good place to begin 2013.

+In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment