Saturday, April 7, 2012

Lenten Daily Dose - Holy Saturday

Why this Saturday of “nothingness”?
Holy Saturday is always been this “dead” period for me in the Triduum.  Figuratively and literally, it is a “dead” period.  I never really got much out of it and I am just ready to go Easter.  This Saturday I am thinking of a couple things on why the Saturday of “nothingness” has to happen.

  • In my MTV generation,  I always have or crave some kind of stimulus, audio and visual – I need noise.   God is simply saying to me on Saturday, “STOP, PRAY, THINK, PRAY.”  The static noise of this world gets in the way of God a lot for me.  At the same time, if I receive that static in a prayerful way, I can find God in this world too.  So, I need a day of quiet, a day of “nothingness” in this Superbowl of my faith.

  • I have heard a lot of messages from Christ from Thursday and Friday:

-Washing of the disciples feet
-The Last Supper
-The Agony in the Garden
-Judas betrayal
-Peter’s Denials
-The Crucifixion

But hearing and listening are two different things.  Holy Saturday is going to be a listening day for me.  I need to be actively listening to Christ on Saturday.  One definition of Active Listening reads as follows:

Active listening is a communication technique that requires the listener to feed back what he hears to the speaker, by way of re-stating or paraphrasing what he has heard in his own words, to confirm what he has heard and moreover, to confirm the understanding of both parties. The ability to listen actively demonstrates sincerity, and that nothing is being assumed or taken for granted. Naturally, it improves personal relationships, reduces misunderstanding and conflicts, strengthens cooperation, and fosters understanding. It is proactive, accountable and professional.

So, in my day of “nothingness” I will strive to “ listen actively and demonstrate sincerity, and that nothing is being assumed or taken for granted...to improve my personal relationship with God.”

I think I will simply start with “Thank you Jesus.”

Peace to you,  Happy Easter tomorrow,

Chuck Forthaus

No comments:

Post a Comment