Monday, April 30, 2012

Jesus's "I AM" Statements

In last Sunday’s homily, I mentioned briefly the significance of Jesus’s "I AM" statements. Just a brief follow up here.

When Jesus makes these statements, that is an invitation for us to pay attention because He is about reveal a part of himself; He is about reveal something about himself and how He relates to us.  Each statement reveals a part of Jesus and invites us into a deeper understanding of who He is and what our relationship with Him can be.

If you’re interested in further reading, and for your prayer, I recommend a great book that has guided meditation for these passages (and about 20 others) called, I AM: Eucharistic Meditation on the Gospel by Concepcion Cabrera de Armida.  (Click the title for a link to amazon.com.)

I offer for your prayer the “I AM “statements from John’s gospel with the chapter and verse accompanying them.

I am the Resurrection and the Life (Jn 11:25)
I am the Good Shepherd (Jn 10:11, 14)
I am the [True] Vine (Jn 15:1, 5)
I am the Light of the World (Jn 8:12)
I am the Bread of Life (Jn 6:48)
I am the Way, the Truth and the Life (Jn 14:6)
I am the Gate (Jn 10:9)
I am He (Jn  18:5)    

Peace to you,
FrC

No comments:

Post a Comment