Tuesday, November 6, 2012

An Open Invitation


A Holy Hour with Jesus
What: A Holy Hour with Jesus Christ (guided by Father Craig)

When: Every Wednesday, beginning Nov 21st [We will not meet on Wednesday, December 5.]

Time: 8pm-9pm                                                                   Where: MQP Church

“What is a Holy Hour?” The Holy Hour grew out of monastic prayer traditions in which pray-ers are invited to spend one hour in the presence of the Lord. The hour is free from distraction; all is left behind for 60 minutes while the Lord nourishes us through His Word spoken through Scripture and Silence; Meditation and Spiritual Reading.  Think of Jesus’s invitation to his apostles at the Garden of Gethsemane: “Remain here and watch with me” (Mt 26:38).

“What can I expect?” Father Craig will read brief passages from Scripture, writings of the Saints, and other Spiritual reading to provide fuel for meditation. The Blessed Sacrament will exposed on the Altar. It will be quiet and peaceful in Church.  St. Isidore of Seville writes, “If one wants to be always in God’s company, he must pray regularly and read regularly. When we pray, we talk to God; when we read, God talks to us.”

“What should I bring?”  Your Bible, your Rosary, your journal, your spiritual reading and spend an hour with the Lord that will allow Him the opportunity to nourish you through Scripture, Silence and Meditation. Bring all the other stuff too: “Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus” (Phil 4:7).

“I’ve never done this before.” Don’t sweat it: Father Craig will explain what “to do” with the time and how to make it fruitful, peaceful and nourishing.  Take the Prophets Isaiah’s words: “All you who are thirsty, come to the water! Come to me heedfully, listen, that you may have life” (Is 55: 1, 3). The point here: just come! The Lord will take care of the rest.

“I don’t think I can stay the whole hour.” Again, don’t sweat it. Come for 15, 30 or all 60 minutes. The Lord promises to nourish you no matter how long you stay. God promises, through the Prophet Jeremiah “When you look for me, you will find me. Yes, when you seek me with all your heart, you will find me with you” (Jer 29:13-14).

“Do I need to RSVP or anything?”  Nope. Come when you can; we’ll be here when you are here; we’ll be here when you’re can’t make it. We’ll meet for 5 weeks and then reassess as we enter 2013. Jesus promises us, invites us, “Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, then I will enter his house and dine with him, and he with me” (Rev. 3:30).

Questions, suggestions: please contact Father Craig at (314) 962-2311 x. 17 or frcraig.holway@mqpwg.org

No comments:

Post a Comment