-Matthew's main theme appears to be "The Kingdom of God". He recounts Jesus using that phrase more than 30 times throughout his Gospel. The Kingdom of God (or Heaven) has three essential meanings:
1. It is a place where the Gospel message is lived out in a perfectly ethical way. It is a place where those who have heard Jesus's message live it our perfectly- or at least, close to it.
2. It is a place that is represented by the Catholic Church and the Church Community (on the parish level). It's the place where the message of Jesus is preached and people are baptized into the Church.
3. It is the place that we commonly call Heaven. It is in Heaven that all is perfectly united to God the Father and Creator and Redeemer and Sanctifier is a perfect harmony where Love and Peace reign in all hearts and minds.
Also, if you're interested in further reading and study of Matthew's Gospel, here are some resources that you may find helpful. If you would like an electronic copy of the compiled daily summaries, let me know and I'll be more than happy to share them.
1. Barclay, William, The Gospel of Matthew (2 Volumes) in the Daily Study Bible Series, (Louisville: John Knox, 1975).
2. McBride, A. Rev. O. Praem., The Kingdom and the Glory: Meditation and Commentary on the Gospel of Matthew, (Huntington: OSV, 1992).
3. Mitch, C. & Sri, E., The Gospel of Matthew, in the Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture series, (Grand Rapids: Baker, 2010).
4. Schonborn, C. Rev., My Jesus: Encountering Christ in the Gospel, (San Francisco: Ignatius, 2002).
5. Shea, J., On Earth as It is in Heaven, (Collegeville: Liturgical Press, 2004).
Next for our study and prayer, the Gospel According to Mark. We'll begin that on Tuesday, July 24th.
Have a good weekend.